Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer
“Slip and fall” is the term commonly used when you are injured in a fall. The most common slip and fall injuries result from improper maintenance of stairways and railings; poor lighting; uneven or slippery floors and walkways; falling debris; failure to clear snow and ice; and more. Regardless of how you were hurt, our legal experts can help you determine liability and fight for your fair compensation.
What you need to know
Property owners are required by law to make sure their properties are reasonably safe for use. There are standards for maintenance and safety that vary for private or public property and other factors. Despite these rules and standards, many properties are not maintained safely by their owners. In the unfortunate event that you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to compensation.
What you need to do
Slip and Fall accidents fall under the Occupiers’ Liability Act, the Municipal Act and several other statutes in Ontario. Knowing what to do and the steps to take after a slip and fall accident can have a huge impact on your recovery and your claim for compensation. The following actions need to be taken as soon as possible:
- Seek medical assistance. If no ambulance is called to the scene, attend the ER of your hospital. You will not know the extent of your injuries so do not assume that you “will be fine”.
- If you are able, write down the names, addresses and telephone numbers of any people who were involved in the accident. Otherwise get someone else to do it.
- If you are able, write down the names, addresses and telephone numbers of any witnesses. This is very important as police do not collect evidence for slip and fall accidents, so gather as much information as you can at the time. If you cannot do so, get someone else to do it.
- Remember exactly where you fell. Sometimes a meter in either direction can identify the Defendant in your case - for example, whether you fell on private property or a public sidewalk.
- Take photos of the scene of the accident, such as an unmarked wet floor. Even if you see video cameras in the area, do not assume that they have captured your fall or that they will preserve any such recordings.
- Consult a reputable personal injury lawyer with a proven track record of success in slip and fall lawsuits. You need to understand your rights and obligations.
- Let your family doctor know that you have been injured promptly. Report all your symptoms.
- Report the accident to your employer or school. If you have disability insurance available, inform that insurance company of your injuries.
- Report the accident to any other insurer you may have (for example. mortgage or debt forgiveness through credit cards).
- Keep receipts of all accident-related expenses.
- Tell your family to keep a record of dates and times that they have spent caring for you, and their out-of-pocket expenses.
You do not have to speak to the insurance company of the other parties involved in the accident. It is a good idea to have a lawyer with you, if and when you decide to provide such a statement, because what you say could affect your right to compensation.
It is less complex to sue a private or commercial property owner than a municipality. Suing a municipality involves strict notice periods and different standards of property care. The general limitation for making a slip and fall claim is 2 years. However, lawsuits against municipalities require that notice of a pending lawsuit be submitted within 10 days following the accident date. We can help you take action immediately following your slip and fall so that your case is filed within the statutory time limits.
Other important information
We can guide you through the processes of establishing liability in negligence and suing for damages. Even if you think you are at fault, you could still be a victim of negligence. We understand the complexities of the law including the Occupiers’ Liability Act, and will make sure that your rights are protected.
We will work with your medical team and consult experts to ensure that you receive the treatment and benefits you deserve, and advocate on your behalf for fair compensation. Compensation for your injuries can include damages for:
- Pain and suffering;
- Loss of income and out of pocket expenses;
- Loss of enjoyment of life;
- Economic losses incurred by family members;
- Cost of future medical treatment and care;
- Cost of future attendant care;
- Loss of future ability to earn money in the job market;
- Cost of housekeeping and caregiving;
- Loss of shared family income;
- Loss of care, guidance and companionship suffered by your immediate family;
- and more.
What is a slip and fall claim?
This is a legal claim for compensation for an injury suffered from slipping or tripping and falling because of someone else’s negligence. Common causes of slip and fall accidents are poorly lit areas, badly maintained parking lots and driveways, wet floors and more. In the unfortunate event that you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident on private, public or commercial property, speak to a knowledgeable law firm, such as Campisi LLP, to determine liability and fight for your compensation.
Should I get a lawyer for a slip and fall accident?
What is a reasonable settlement for a slip and fall accident?
As in personal injury lawsuits, your compensation will depend on the specific circumstances of your claim. The reasonable range of settlement values can only be determined after a thorough review of the facts and the extent of your ongoing impairment. Rather than offer you empty promises, we take the time to work with you so that you understand the reasonable range you can expect to recover.
How long does it take to settle a slip and fall lawsuit?
There is no general rule concerning the time to settle a slip and fall. It will depend on the nature of the accident and severity of your injuries. If liability by the negligent property owner (private or government/ municipality) for the slip and fall is obvious , and if the damages for your injuries are straightforward and easily identified, settlement can happen fairly quickly. However, if either liability or damages (or both) need to be proven, settlement can take several years and might require a trial. We take the time to work with you so that you have a clear picture of the reasonable time frame you can expect.
How Campisi can help
Insurance companies use a number of factors to value a case. These include: your age, amount of vehicular damage, whether you were hospitalized, whether you sustained fractures and your loss of income. At Campisi LLP, we know these details don’t tell the whole story.
I cannot say enough good things about this law firm. The staff is professional, efficient and reliable. I am beyond grateful to Joseph Campisi. He is exceptionally educated when it comes to personal injury law and because of that, he always acts in the best interests of his clients. He acts with integrity , knowledge and care. Qualities I believe are very hard to find in this industry. I would recommend Campisi LLP to anybody that is looking for their best interests to be represented with solid results. His staff are welcoming, professional and patient. They actually empathize with what you have been though and support you through it.
Personal Injury Law Firm for the Seriously Injured
At Campisi, we care fiercely for our clients, giving them the support they need and winning the settlements they deserve. If you've been injured or hospitalized due to an accident in Ontario, it is important that you know your rights and get the best legal representation possible. Contact us now for immediate support.
CONTACT US NOW
Why Choose Campisi?
A champion with heart
When you’re a victim of an accident, everything can seem upside down. You need someone who cares enough to help you through the process, but also someone who’s strong enough to battle tirelessly on your behalf. You need an advocate with a heart.
We guarantee to always put your future first
You don’t pay for anything until your case is won or settled. We treat you as we would our family, making ourselves available 7 days a week to guide you through these difficult times. We are selective when taking on new clients so that you receive the attention you deserve, and the commitment to win your case.
Campisi is head of the class
At Campisi LLP, you and your family are in good hands. Our Managing Partner is not only an exemplary personal injury lawyer, he is a professor of Insurance Law at York University’s Osgoode Hall Law School. He has been recognized in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers® in Canada for Personal Injury Litigation, a highly respected resource for both clients and professionals. Our lawyers have successfully represented thousands of clients with serious injuries like yours, and will use their extensive knowledge of the law, the medicine and the insurance system to win your case.