Orthopedic Injury Lawyer (Fractures and Broken Bones)
At Campisi LLP, our expert personal injury lawyers approach every case with unfailing dedication and compassion. We understand that broken bones and other orthopedic injuries have repercussions that impact the lives of our clients and their loved ones. We have a proven track record of success in orthopedic and bone injury cases, and we will fight for your right to receive the care, rehabilitation and compensation you deserve.
What you need to know
Serious orthopedic injuries are often caused by the negligence of other parties. They can result from car accidents, slip and fall accidents and more. Such injuries are extremely painful and can leave you temporarily or permanently disabled.
You can commence a lawsuit to claim compensation if your injuries were caused in whole or in part by the negligence of another party. Examples include:
- A car accident or bicycle accident involving negligent, distracted or drunk drivers;
- Failure by a municipality to maintain the roads or a public area to the required standards;
- Failure to implement proper safeguards and procedures, such as for the supervision of children, the service of alcohol and more;
- Failure by individuals or corporations to meet Occupiers’ Liability standards.
What you need to do
In general, you have two years from the date of the injury to file a lawsuit. However, lawsuits against municipalities require that notice of a pending suit be submitted within 10 days following the accident date. Speak to our lawyers right away to ensure you file your case within the proper time limits.
NOTE: The two-year limitation period does not begin for a child until they reach the age of 18 in Ontario. This does not mean you should wait to speak to our pediatric injury experts. It is important that you discuss your child’s case with our personal injury lawyers right away to ensure the case is investigated and managed properly from the start. As these claims can go on for many years while the child’s development continues, it is important to lay the right groundwork.
Important timelines if injured in a car accident
- Within 60 days after the occurrence of the injury, written notice of the claim, including the date, time and location of the occurrence, has been personally served on or sent by registered mail to at least one person listed in subsection.
- Generally, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit against the at fault parties. We can advise you regarding your access to Accident Benefits after a car accident. However, you must act fast as there are strict time limits.
- Within 7 days of the accident: Inform the accident benefits insurance company of the accident and that you were hurt.
- Within 30 days of receiving an accident benefits application: Send in the completed application that was provided to you by the insurance company. If you take longer, the insurer can delay your benefits for 45 days and may be able to deny you benefits altogether.
- Within 10 business days of receiving a request for information: Your insurance company can request information needed to determine your entitlement. You have 10 business days to provide it, or they can suspend or deny your benefits.
Other important information
If you were injured in a car accident, we will help you file your application for Accident Benefits, support your treatment providers and arrange for medical assessments to determine the extent of your orthopedic injury, including whether it is a catastrophic impairment (a designation that provides access to increased funding for medical and rehabilitation expenses). We recognize that dealing with your insurance company can be intimidating and overwhelming. We will make sure you are treated fairly and will litigate on your behalf if it is necessary to get you the care you need.
Compensation for your injuries can include damages for:
- Pain and suffering;
- Loss of income and out of pocket expenses;
- Loss of enjoyment of life;
- Economic losses incurred by family members;
- Cost of future medical treatment and care;
- Cost of future attendant care;
- Loss of future ability to earn money in the job market;
- Cost of housekeeping and caregiving;
- Loss of shared family income;
- Loss of care, guidance and companionship suffered by your immediate family;
- and more.
How much compensation can I get?
Although compensation depends on the specific circumstances of the case, orthopedic injury lawsuits can result in large damages awards because of the potential for all areas of your life to be impacted permanently. As a result, we ensure the defendant pays damages for current and future difficulties.
Damages for pain and suffering (called “general damages”) are only one aspect of your overall claim. Since there is no accurate way to put a monetary value to your losses from pain and suffering, our courts have set a cap on the amount you can recover. For the most serious injuries, the cap as of January 2021 is $393,732. Compared to American lawsuits, where there is no similar cap, this seems like a small award. However, there are other potential areas of significant compensation, including:
- Past and future loss of income or earning potential;
- Future cost of care;
- Loss of housekeeping and home maintenance capacity.
Damages under these headings have no cap and are determined through expert analysis. They can total millions of dollars, depending on the specific life circumstances of the victim. At Campisi LLP, we have extensive experience determining appropriate ranges of damages for our clients. We engage leading economists, vocational and other experts to ensure we accurately calculate our clients’ needs to make the best case to meet these needs, now and in the future.
You might also be entitled to recover:
If you or a loved one has suffered an orthopedic injury in a car accident, bicycle accident, slip and fall or any other type of accident where another party is at fault, you need the services of a knowledgeable and dedicated personal injury lawyer. We want to help you reach your full recovery potential, and we are ready to fight for the compensation you deserve. We will look at your case for free, and you do not pay us anything until your case is won or settled.
How Campisi can help
Insurance companies use a number of factors to value a case. These include: your age, amount of vehicular damage, whether you were hospitalized, whether you sustained fractures and your loss of income. At Campisi LLP, we know these details don’t tell the whole story.
Why Choose Campisi?
A champion with heart
When you’re a victim of an accident, everything can seem upside down. You need someone who cares enough to help you through the process, but also someone who’s strong enough to battle tirelessly on your behalf. You need an advocate with a heart.
We guarantee to always put your future first
You don’t pay for anything until your case is won or settled. We treat you as we would our family, making ourselves available 7 days a week to guide you through these difficult times. We are selective when taking on new clients so that you receive the attention you deserve, and the commitment to win your case.
Campisi is head of the class
At Campisi LLP, you and your family are in good hands. Our Managing Partner is not only an exemplary personal injury lawyer, he is a professor of Insurance Law at York University’s Osgoode Hall Law School. Our lawyers have successfully represented thousands of clients with serious injuries like yours, and will use their extensive knowledge of the law, the medicine and the insurance system to win your case.