Truck Accident Injury Lawyer
The dynamics of driving a truck are very different from driving a car. Their sheer weight and size make maneuverability and stopping far more challenging. For the sake of safety, truck and cargo vehicle drivers are required to hold specific classes of licence, and they are held to strict driving standards. Despite these precautions, trucks are the cause of many severe collisions. In the unfortunate event that you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, you may be entitled to compensation.
What you need to know
There are many reasons for truck accidents and the fault might lie with several parties. For example:
- If a driver has driven for more than the legal number of hours in a week, the employer might be at fault for allowing the limit to be exceeded.
- If the accident was caused by mechanical failure, the truck manufacturer or maintenance company might be to blame.
- If the driver made an error, he or she might be accountable.
- If the roads were poorly maintained, the municipality might be responsible.
Multiple parties can be at fault in a truck accident, and we have the expertise to determine liability and fight for your compensation.
What you need to do
Knowing what to do and the steps to take after a truck accident can have a huge impact on your recovery and your claim for compensation. When you have suffered a serious injury in a truck accident, you should follow the steps outlined in our Accident Injury Guide, as soon as possible.
- Within 60 days after the occurrence of the injury, written notice of the claim, including the date, time and location of the occurrence, has been personally served on or sent by registered mail to at least one person listed in subsection.
Generally, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit against the at fault parties. We can advise you regarding your access to Accident Benefits after a truck accident. However, you must act fast as there are strict time limits.
Within 7 days of the accident: Inform the accident benefits insurance company of the accident and that you were hurt.
Within 30 days of receiving an accident benefits application: Send in the completed application that was provided to you by the insurance company. If you take longer, the insurer can delay your benefits for 45 days and may be able to deny you benefits altogether.
Within 10 business days of receiving a request for information: Your insurance company can request information needed to determine your entitlement. You have 10 business days to provide it, or they can suspend or deny your benefits.
Within 2 years of a denial: If your insurance company denies benefits to which you are entitled, you must apply to the License and Appeals Tribunal to dispute the denial.
Other important information
Even if you think you are at fault, you could still be a victim of negligence and should consult with a reputable truck accident lawyer. Possible negligence includes ice or snow-covered roads, defects on the road surface, improper road design or sightline obstructions. Lawsuits against cities and municipalities require that notice of a pending lawsuit be submitted within 10 days following the accident date. It is therefore urgent that you consult with a law firm that will take the necessary steps to protect your rights.
Compensation for your injuries can include damages for:
- Pain and suffering;
- Loss of income and out of pocket expenses;
- Loss of enjoyment of life;
- Economic losses incurred by family members;
- Cost of future medical treatment and care;
- Cost of future attendant care;
- Loss of future ability to earn money in the job market;
- Cost of housekeeping and caregiving;
- Loss of shared family income;
- Loss of care, guidance and companionship suffered by your immediate family;
- and more.
How Campisi can help
Insurance companies use a number of factors to value a case. These include: your age, amount of vehicular damage, whether you were hospitalized, whether you sustained fractures and your loss of income. At Campisi LLP, we know these details don’t tell the whole story.
We are available 7 days a week to answer your questions, provide legal advice and help you and your family through difficult times.
Cases that Campisi has won for truck drivers:
- Client fractured his ribs and received burns to his legs (13% of body). Total compensation exceeded $2.5 million.
See More Results
Why Choose Campisi?
A champion with heart
When you’re a victim of an accident, everything can seem upside down. You need someone who cares enough to help you through the process, but also someone who’s strong enough to battle tirelessly on your behalf. You need an advocate with a heart.
We guarantee to always put your future first
You don’t pay for anything until your case is won or settled. We treat you as we would our family, making ourselves available 7 days a week to guide you through these difficult times. We are selective when taking on new clients so that you receive the attention you deserve, and the commitment to win your case.
Campisi is head of the class
At Campisi LLP, you and your family are in good hands. Our Managing Partner is not only an exemplary personal injury lawyer, he is a professor of Insurance Law at York University’s Osgoode Hall Law School. Our lawyers have successfully represented thousands of clients with serious injuries like yours, and will use their extensive knowledge of the law, the medicine and the insurance system to win your case.