Car Accident Injury Lawyer
Being injured in a car accident can be overwhelming. You will face physical and emotional hardships and unplanned financial issues like income loss, medical and rehabilitation costs, childcare fees and more. Let our experienced legal team help you through these difficult times. At Campisi, our first priority is to invest our expertise, time and resources into getting you and your family the timely, quality care you deserve. We will navigate through both the complex legal system and work with medical experts to build a winning case. In the unfortunate event that you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, our personal injury lawyers can advise if you are entitled to compensation and tell you what a reasonable settlement could be for your case.
What you need to know
Even if you think you are at fault, you could still be a victim of negligence and should consult with our car accident lawyers. Possible negligence includes ice- or snow-covered roads, defects on the road surface, improper road design or sightline obstructions.
What you need to do
Knowing what to do and the steps to take after a car accident can have a huge impact on your recovery and your claim for compensation. When you have suffered a serious injury in a car accident, you should follow the steps outlined in our Accident Injury Guide, as soon as possible.
- Within 60 days after the occurrence of the injury, written notice of the claim, including the date, time and location of the occurrence, has been personally served on or sent by registered mail to at least one person listed in subsection.
- Generally, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit against the at fault parties. We can advise you regarding your access to Accident Benefits after a car accident. However, you must act fast as there are strict time limits.
- Within 7 days of the accident: Inform the accident benefits insurance company of the accident and that you were hurt.
- Within 30 days of receiving an accident benefits application: Send in the completed application that was provided to you by the insurance company. If you take longer, the insurer can delay your benefits for 45 days and may be able to deny you benefits altogether.
- Within 10 business days of receiving a request for information: Your insurance company can request information needed to determine your entitlement. You have 10 business days to provide it, or they can suspend or deny your benefits.
- Within 2 years of a denial: If your insurance company denies benefits to which you are entitled, you must apply to the License and Appeals Tribunal to dispute the denial.
Other important information
Lawsuits against cities and municipalities require that notice of a pending lawsuit be submitted within 10 days following the accident date. It is therefore urgent that you consult with a law firm that will take the necessary steps to protect your rights.
Compensation for your injuries can include damages for:
- Pain and suffering;
- Loss of income and out of pocket expenses;
- Loss of enjoyment of life;
- Economic losses incurred by family members;
- Cost of future medical treatment and care;
- Cost of future attendant care;
- Loss of future ability to earn money in the job market;
- Cost of housekeeping and caregiving;
- Loss of shared family income;
- Loss of care, guidance and companionship suffered by your immediate family;
- and more.
Is it worth getting a lawyer for a car accident?
It is always a good idea to consult with a reputable personal injury lawyer if you have been in a car accident. Even after a seemingly minor collision, including a low speed rear end impact or “fender bender”, you can suffer permanent and serious impairments including chronic pain conditions or post-concussion syndrome.
When should I hire a lawyer for a car accident?
Although you generally have two years after an accident to start a lawsuit in Ontario, it is always a good idea to contact a reputable personal injury lawyer promptly after a car accident. Your memory of the events leading to the accident will be at its freshest. You might need assistance setting up your income replacement and other accident benefits or arranging treatment and rehabilitation. Having a plan will set your mind at rest so you can concentrate on your recovery.
What is the average settlement for a minor car accident?
“Minor car accident” is a misleading insurance industry term. It is also used by the Ontario government to get cars to the side of the 400-series highways. Settlements are based on your functional impairment and the impact the accident has had on your quality of life, not the severity of the impact or your initial injuries. A reputable personal injury lawyer can help you develop your claim and maximize your potential settlement.
What is a reasonable settlement for a car accident?
As discussed above, settlements are based on the degree of functional impairment an accident victim suffers, and the overall impact it has on his or her life. All settlements are a form of compromise between the accident victim and the insurance company. A reasonable settlement is one where you have received fair compensation for your impairments while avoiding the risk of a trial. It is not a windfall, but is based on medical and other evidence, and the relative strength of your evidence. A reputable personal injury lawyer will advise you every step of the way so that you understand the reasonable range of settlement for your case, and will not make empty promises about how much you can expect.
For an idea how long it takes to settle a case, watch the following video.
How Campisi can help
Insurance companies use a number of factors to value a case. These include: your age, amount of vehicular damage, whether you were hospitalized, whether you sustained fractures and your loss of income. At Campisi LLP, we know these details don’t tell the whole story.
We are available 7 days a week to answer your questions, provide legal advice and help you and your family through difficult times.
Cases that Campisi has won for car accident victims:
- Client fractured her sternum and spine and was subsequently diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome, although she was not treated for a traumatic brain injury during her four-day hospitalization. $1.8 million in total compensation.
- Client experienced chronic post-concussion syndrome although there was no initial evidence of traumatic brain injury. Total compensation exceeded $2.2 million.
see more results
My husband involved in a car accident and he was referred to Cesar Carranza who came right away to the hospital. Joe also came to visit us. With their help he received the best treatment and medical equipment he needed. Cesar also helped us in the process of inviting his 2 siblings from the Philippines who helped us in taking care of my husband. I am very happy with the service they provided. They're really professional and kind. The team settled his case so quickly and they're highly recommended.
Why Choose Campisi?
A champion with heart
When you’re a victim of an accident, everything can seem upside down. You need someone who cares enough to help you through the process, but also someone who’s strong enough to battle tirelessly on your behalf. You need an advocate with a heart.
We guarantee to always put your future first
You don’t pay for anything until your case is won or settled. We treat you as we would our family, making ourselves available 7 days a week to guide you through these difficult times. We are selective when taking on new clients so that you receive the attention you deserve, and the commitment to win your case.
Campisi is head of the class
At Campisi LLP, you and your family are in good hands. Our Managing Partner is not only an exemplary personal injury lawyer, he is a professor of Insurance Law at York University’s Osgoode Hall Law School. Our lawyers have successfully represented thousands of clients with serious injuries like yours, and will use their extensive knowledge of the law, the medicine and the insurance system to win your case.