Dr. Karina Kowalkarina@campisilaw.ca
Dr. Karina Kowal is a medicolegal litigation strategist at Campisi LLP. Karina uses her extensive knowledge and expertise across medicine, law and adjudication to help accident victims obtain the treatment, compensation and justice they are entitled to.
Dr. Kowal received her M.D in Poland in 1999 and began her career in accident benefits as a physician treating motor vehicle accident victims at a medical rehabilitation clinic in 2000. After obtaining a graduate degree from the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Montreal in insurance medicine and medicolegal expertise, she began conducting independent medical examinations for both the plaintiff and defence.
She completed her Master of Laws in health law and alternative dispute resolution (ADR) at Osgoode Hall in 2014. She was appointed as a mediator and arbitrator to FSCO in 2012 and when the Ontario Licence Appeal Tribunal (LAT) was established in 2016, Karina was appointed adjudicator to deal exclusively with accident benefit matters.
Karina is board certified by the American Medical Association (AMA) in both the 4th and 6th Editions of the AMA Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment as a Certified Independent Medical Examiner (CIME). This is the required criteria of the Ontario courts in the determination of catastrophic impairment for victims of motor vehicle accidents. Dr. Kowal also holds the following designations and memberships:
- Qualified Arbitrator (Q.Arb.) from the ADR Institute of Canada
- Licensed paralegal, notary public and member of the Law Society of Ontario
- Executive committee – board of directors and treasurer of the Medical Legal Society of Toronto (MLST)
- Member of the Canadian Society of Medical Evaluators (CSME)
- Member of the American Board of Independent Medical Evaluators (ABIME)
- Member of the Society of Ontario Adjudicators and Regulators (SOAR)
- Member of the ADR Institute of Ontario and Canada (ADRIO and ADRIC)
- Certification in psychotherapy for physicians – University of Toronto
Our lawyers, paralegals, law clerks and support staff have all been selected based on their expertise and dedication. From winning precedent-setting cases to practicing personal injury law collectively for almost half a century, all have extensive knowledge of the insurance and legal system and are ready to put that experience to use to ensure our clients receive the compensation they deserve.