Personal Injury Blog

Income Tax season is upon us, and we'd like to offer some tips for individuals and families who have suffered from personal injury to help maximize their returns. If there is someone you know that could benefit from this information, please pass it along. 

Here are a few options for injured parties & families to be mindful of when completing their tax returns:

  • Income Replacement Benefits – These benefits received from the insurance company are not taxable, and therefore do not need to be declared.

  • Disability Tax Credit - A disability tax credit can be claimed if a qualified person (usually a medical doctor) certifies that an individual has a severe and prolonged mental or physical impairment which markedly restricts the ability to perform a basic activity of daily living.  To apply for the disability tax credit, have your doctor complete Form T2201 - Disability Tax Credit Certificate. This form has sections on various types of physical or mental impairments.
  • Canada Caregiver Credit (CCC) - If you have a dependant with a physical or mental impairment, you may be eligible for this non-refundable tax credit. The amount you can claim depends on a few criteria such as your relationship to the person, the individual’s net income and if credits are already being claimed for that individual. Please visit Canada Revenue Agency – Canada Caregiver Credit for more information.
  • Medical Expense Tax Credit – This tax credit can help pay for eligible medical expenses for yourself, your spouse or common-law partner and your dependant children. Please visit Canada Revenue Agency – Medical Expense Tax Credit for more information.
  • NOTE: If you are self-employed, please let us review your Income Tax Return before you submit to CRA.

Please feel free to call us at 416-203-1115 if you have any further questions about any of the above tax credits or filing a return. We are here to help.

Rectangle 79 (1) 3cb61dd799b78236322739172e1d220c

Have you been seriously injured in a car accident?

Put our expertise to work for you.

If you or a loved one has been seriously injured, you need a personal injury lawyer who puts client care first and who also knows how to navigate the complex legal system.

Contact Us Now

Subscribe to our newsletter

Get free insights delivered right to your inbox


Give us your email address and we’ll send you the latest information on updates to the legal and insurance system and learn how you can make the best recovery possible.

image 13 (1)

Notice - COVID-19

In response to the evolving COVID-19 crisis, the Ontario Government released Order 518/20 under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, declaring a state of emergency for the Province on March 17, 2020.

COVID-19 Federal and Insurance Assistance for Businesses

As the COVID-19 crisis continues with no end in sight, many of you will face economic hardship and other obstacles that interfere with your ability to run your business. We have prepared this compilation of many the most impactful government relief measures that may be available for you in this...

Halloween Safety Tips

Halloween brings out the kid in everyone.  You have the chance to dress up, binge on candy and see the parade of cute costumes at your front door.  Keeping a few Halloween safety tips in mind, ensures that everyone has a wonderful evening and the tired, candy-filled princesses, superheroes,...

More Posts